Youth Theatre Participation Officer
Tuesday 13 November 2018
21 hours or 3 days a week including Monday & Wednesday evenings (up to 8pm)
Fixed term until May 2019 (with option to extend)
Fee: £7,920.00 (£360 per week)
Spotlight is a purpose built Creative Arts Youth Space in the heart of East London. With recording studios, Art & Fashion rooms and a high quality performance space, Spotlight is fully equipped to support young people to access the arts and explore their creativity.
We are looking for an experienced freelance professional to support the recruitment and delivery of our new theatre programme. Over an initial period of 2 terms (Nov 2018 – May 2019) (with option to extend) the Youth Theatre Participation Officer will support the delivery and recruitment of 2 theatre programmes:
Breaking Character is a 10 week Theatre programme for young people who are involved in the criminal justice system. The Youth Theatre Participation Officer will work with Tower Hamlets Youth Offending Team to identify and recruit young people who are in need of an intervention to support their speech and communication skills and deter them from offending behaviour. During the project the Youth Theatre Participation Officer will provide pastoral support and behaviour management while encouraging participation in sessions and feeding back regularly to the Youth Offending Team and/or other referring agencies.
- Spotlight Youth Theatre has recently been relaunched after a period of schools outreach and entry level auditions. Over a term the youth theatre will work with experienced facilitators to create and devise a short sharing, building up to a larger scale sharing in Easter 2019. The Youth Theatre Participation Officer will support the continued recruitment of the Youth Theatre by facilitating schools outreach sessions, promoting the youth theatre and retaining participation. They will work closely with the facilitators to ensure the smooth running of the youth theatre.
The Youth Theatre Participation Officer will take full responsibility for the Theatre programme at Spotlight ensuring we are working with the best facilitators, creating the most positive outcomes and progression for young people and that all opportunities are promoted and taken up by young people.
Duties will include but are not limited to:
Youth Work & Delivery:
- To work closely with Creative Arts Youth Work Coordinator and creative team to support the delivery of the Breaking Character & Youth Theatre projects, ensuring delivery is of the highest possible standards.
- To lead on the pastoral management of participants on both projects to ensure that information, advice and guidance services are delivered to the highest professional standards.
- To work closely with the creative team and the Creative Arts Youth Work Coordinator to lead on behavioural management in sessions and activities,
- To build constructive positive relationships with young people, and facilitate their learning and development by empowering them with the necessary confidence and knowledge to progress.
- To identify the relevant internal and external support, advice and guidance for the young people engaged on projects.
Recruitment & Planning:
- To lead on the delivery of recruitment strategies for the Breaking Character project, engaging new young people who are NEET & under-represented in the take up of Spotlight activity
- To manage and devise a recruitment strategy for Youth Theatre, engaging local schools, colleges and other arts organisations.
- To be fully responsible for thorough one-to-one recruitment of self-referred young people and those referred by external agencies and organisations, and to identify and then record accurate assessments of their needs, including any advice and guidance necessary to ensure there is no barrier to participation.
- To build relationships with local secondary schools, colleges and alternative education providers to ensure thorough recruitment and promotion for both projects.
- Conduct necessary paperwork to enrol participants on the Breaking Character programme, including code of conduct and individual learning plans. Where relevant, to devise action plans to address young people’s needs throughout the young person’s engagement to ensure all young people can remain on the programme
- To work towards identified KPIs and targets and to provide accurate reports on these.
- To keep a log of all services and contacts made throughout the recruitment stage and to be responsible for the updating of the central participation spreadsheet & databases, ensuring this is regularly updated.
- To lead on project exit interviews to enable young people to make informed decisions and better choices for their future life exploring internal and external pathway opportunities.
- Take responsibility for administrative tasks related to the delivery of the programme, from maintaining accurate daily registers to taking minutes in daily evaluation meetings.
- To set up the session space, ensuring it is safe to work in and all equipment required for the session is present in the room.
The candidate must have a valid enhanced DBS check (or be willing to undergo necessary checks) and be registered Self Employed with a UTR number to be responsible for all taxes and national insurance contributions.
Please send CV and covering letter (one side of A4) to Hello@wearespotlight.com
Deadline for applications: Wednesday 21st November 2018 5pm
Start date: as soon as possible